Anderson Family

The second owners of the Deason Home were grandson Isaac Anderson, Jr. and his wife Sallie Pool. They were responsible for the only additions to the home.

Advertisements
filename-1
The Anderson Family purchased the home after Eleanor Deason passed away.

Today, nestled between two modern schools, the Deason Home of “French Raised Cottage” design at the corner of Deason and Anderson Streets in Ellisville, seems oddly misput in its current surroundings.  Additions and modifications were made around 1890 when Amos Deason’s grandson, Isaac Anderson, Jr. and his wife Sarah Rebecca “Sallie” Pool, acquired the house after Eleanor Deason’s death in 1888.  Here they reared ten children, three of whom were born in the house.  Today the basic structure of the house stands much as it did in the 1890s.

Upon acquiring the property in 1890, Isaac Anderson Jr. took on a building and renovation project to accommodate his large growing family.  He enclosed porches, extended one of the small bedrooms, added rooms to the back and side of the house with connecting halls and brought the kitchen inside.

Of particular interest to the additions is the back left corner bedroom with four windows looking out on the back and side of the house.  This is referred to as Ma’s room (Sarah Rebecca Pool Anderson) and is known to have been the bedroom of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson.  This room is also referred to as the “summer borning room” because of the cool breeze that swept the room from the four windows  When it came time for birth during the hot summers, this was the coolest room in the house and allowed for complete privacy.  Mr. Isaac Anderson Jr. died in this room when Annie, his youngest child was two years old.

After the death of Isaac Anderson Jr. on April 14, 1903 [Age 47], Mrs. Anderson remained a widow 36 years and lived in the house until her death on August 6, 1939 [Age 79].  After her death the property remained in the Anderson Estate and was lived in  by various family members until 1965.  Needless to say that by this time the house was in disrepair.

Welton Smith and his wife Frances Anderson acquired the property in 1965 and started limited renovations to preserve the house and suit their life style.  In doing the remodeling they were careful to preserve this stately old homes’ original four room layout and basic exterior.

Today the house consists of the original layout: front porch, back porch with utility room, ten rooms, two closets, enclosed stairwell to attic and connecting hallways.  The present ten rooms are:  vestibule, parlor, sunroom, 3 bedrooms, formal dining room, breakfast room, kitchen, and bathroom.

For more information, please visit our website at http://www.deasonhome.org.  The home is open on the first and third Saturday of each month from 1 – 4 PM.  $5 admission.  Private tours and ghost hunts are also scheduled.  Be sure to like us on Facebook!  (Deason Home)